In addition to fine lines and wrinkles, the hollow looking eyes make the face look less young and fresh. The hollow looking eyes are eyes that have a sunken appearance, and this sunken appearance will give a look of tiredness. The hollow looking eyes can be eliminated using a few methods.
Causes of Hollow Looking Eyes
The hollow looking eyes may be caused by aging, but the tired appearance may also be caused by:
- Allergies, especially inhalant allergies, which will cause symptoms in the eye area
- Lack of sleep
- Massive weight loss
- Poor diet
- A medical condition that affects the liver or kidneys
- Genetics, the condition is more frequent in people from India or Central Asia
The patient that has hollow looking eyes may present a suite of other symptoms, which will indicate the cause of the sunken eyes:
- Frequent sneezing
- Watery eyes
- Stuffed nose
- Swollen face
- Weight loss
- General state of weakness
Tests can be performed to determine if the patient is allergic (blood tests or skin tests). An additional blood test may also be required to determine if the patient has a medical condition or lacks certain vitamins.
Treatment Options for Hollow Looking Eyes
There are a number of treatment options for hollow looking eyes, depending on the cause of this condition:
- Weight gain can help the appearance of hollow eyes, as the fat will be distributed on the face also and will make the eyes look more natural. This treatment is recommended for patients that are underweight or have lost a massive amount of fat in the past months.
- Sleep can dramatically improve the appearance of the sunken eyes. However, certain studies have shown that more than 8 hours of sleep per night can make the patient more tired, so only 8 hours are recommended per night. It is also imperative to get no more and no less than 8 hours of sleep, as typically a sleep cycle lasts 4 hours, and if the patient wakes up in the middle of a sleep cycle, he will be more tired and the eyes may also have a sunken appearance. Studies have shown that the sleep hours before 12 AM are more beneficial for the body and will make the patient feel well rested.
- Supplements such as the B vitamin complex can be beneficial to reduce the appearance of hollow looking eyes.
- Topical treatments such as vitamin E or vitamin B5 can be applied on the eye area before sleep
- Cosmetic treatments can be applied in patients with hollow looking eyes. Fat injections, dermal fillers or fat grafting can give great results.
- Medical treatment for any of the underlying conditions
The hollow eyes can be concealed with certain types of makeup and cosmetic products, but it is better to opt for a more permanent solution.