If you suspect that you may have age spots it is a good idea to consult with a dermatologist for an assessment. To help you prepare for your appointment, here are some tips and information on what to expect. Before your visit, make sure to prepare a list of questions that you want to ask the doctor. If there is something that the doctor says that you are unsure of, do not be afraid to ask for clarification.
Questions to Ask
The following are questions you may want to ask the doctor before your procedure:
• Will I have to undergo tests to determine if I have age spots?
• What treatment options are available to me and what are the benefits and disadvantages of each?
• How much do the treatments cost?
• Does the treatment qualify for medical coverage? If not, am I able to finance my treatment?
• What should I expect from my final results?
• What does the healing process involve? Will there be significant downtime required?
• Will there be any unusual changes in my skin that I should be aware of?
Questions from the Doctor
The doctor will also be asking you specific questions to better assess your skin condition, these may include:
• When did the age spots first appear?
• In addition to the age spots have you noticed any other changes in your skins complexion?
• How frequently are you exposed to the sun?
• Do you use tanning booths regularly?
• Do you usually get bad sunburns?
• How often do you use sun protection?
During your appointment it may also be helpful to ask to see some before and after photos from patients the doctor has treated. This can give you an idea of what to expect in terms of results and the level of experience the doctor has. By asking the right questions and receiving the appropriate information, you can make an informed decision on your course of treatment.