When to See a Dermatologist for Sensitive Skin

If your skin reacts quickly to temperature and climatic changes and even to mild cosmetics or creams, then you have sensitive skin. Sensitive skin is delicate, dry and more prone to allergic reactions. Also, this type of skin gets sunburned and windburned easily with even a slight change in the weather. Even certain cosmetics, alcohol and detergents can cause allergic reaction like redness, itching, irritation, and make the skin blotchy with visible veins. You may get many problems due to your sensitive skin, and hence, you should be aware when to see a dermatologist.

Reaction to Sun Exposure

When you go out in sun, you may experience certain reactions in the exposed portions of your body. These reactions can occur even after applying sunscreen lotions or moisturizers. Reactions can vary from itching, discoloration, irritation, hot sensation to blemishes. This may be due to a condition called as PMLE (Poly Morphus Light Eruption), but can be decided only by a dermatologist. Treatment with anti-histamines may reduce this reaction to some extent. You might have to use a sunscreen that contains zinc oxide or titanium dioxide.

Suspicious Lesions

If you have a suspicious lesion on your skin that has grown over a period of time, then you should do some more self examination of that lesion. You might have to check for the presence of crust on the lesion, which is bleeding or not healing. Or you should check for the appearance of new mole on that lesion. If you find the appearance of the lesion as unusual, then it is better you consult a dermatologist immediately as this may be a sign of skin cancer.

Recurring Symptoms

If you get skin rashes or other types of skin problems frequently, without any known reason, then it is time to see your dermatologist. It may be due to the result of an underlying skin problem like dermatitis, psoriasis, ichthyosis or eczema, which requires proper treatment in order to be controlled.

Persistent Cosmetic Reactions

You cannot use any cosmetics with harsh ingredients on your sensitive skin. Hence, you should always look for cosmetics with mild ingredients. When you use harsh products, you might get allergic reactions, and if these reactions do not subside even after the stoppage of its use, consult a dermatologist to get the issue cured.

Insect Bites

Insect bites can produce an adverse allergic reaction on your sensitive skin. You have to get the help of a dermatologist who will prescribe anti-histamines based on the severity of the reaction. Do not ever try to get relief from such a reaction by self medicating.


When you reach puberty, you are prone to face acne problems. You may also suffer from this at any age due to hormonal disturbances. Due to the sensitiveness of your skin, you should not try any acne care product without consulting a dermatologist.

It is not advisable to bleach your face with harsh agents or take a strong chemical peel or use a strong astringent lotion on your face. If any such thing happens accidentally, then visit a dermatologist and get it treated.

Have specific questions?

All Article Categories

Before & After Photos

Suggested Doctors

Recently Asked Questions