Types of Professionals Who Provide ArteFill

ArteFill is a simple cosmetic treatment that involves bovine collagen injections, which will fill wrinkles and fine lines but can also boost facial volume and give a nice contour to the face or neck. If you are interested in such a cosmetic treatment, there are a few things you need to do. Firstly, you will have to find a specialist that administers ArteFill injections. The ArteFill treatment may be performed by dermatologists, plastic surgeons or cosmetic surgery specialists.


Dermatologists are doctors that deal with skin diseases and problems, but may also choose to specialize in administering cosmetic treatments. A dermatologist has a medical degree (either M.D or D.O.) and in addition, there is also need for a 4 year training in dermatology. The 4 year training involves 3 years of internship. A dermatologist will be able to treat different skin problems and will also be able to focus on the cosmetic aspect of the dermatology.

Plastic Surgeons

Plastic surgeons, also known as reconstructive surgeons, have a medical degree (M.D. or D.O.) and are also specialized in performing plastic surgeries. The additional training required may be between 2 and 4 years, during which the doctor will go through a longer period of internship. A plastic surgeon will learn how to perform surgeries such as reconstructive surgery, burn surgery, grafting or implants, but will also be qualified to administer dermal fillers and other less complicated treatments. Consequently, you may get a plastic surgeon to perform the ArteFill treatment.

Cosmetic Surgery Specialists

A cosmetic surgery specialist is a dermatologist that has attended a fellowship in cosmetic surgery. The fellowship can last between 1 and 2 years and the specialists are also trained in additional cosmetic treatments that don’t necessarily require surgery. Cosmetic surgery specialists are fully qualified to administer an ArteFill treatment.

Proper Certification

Regardless of the specialist you choose to perform the ArteFill procedure, he should have certification from the American Medical Association or from the board of plastic surgeons in your area. If you choose a specialist that doesn’t have certification, you expose yourself to a great risk.

Additional Considerations

When looking for a specialist to administer the ArteFill treatment, you should also make sure the doctor you choose has a clean record and no malpractice suits on his back. You can check this by calling the local medical board. Find the number for your local medical board online or in your local directories. The skills and experience of the professional you choose are also important when you make a decision.

Where to Look for ArteFill Specialists

If you are on the lookout for an ArteFill specialist, you can start by browsing the internet for dermatologists, plastic surgeons or cosmetic surgery specialists which are located in your area.

Search in local directories, and ask your friends and colleagues if they know of a specialist that is skilled and can perform the ArteFill procedure.

Have specific questions?

All Article Categories

Before & After Photos

Suggested Doctors

Recently Asked Questions