Professionals who Treat Varicose Veins

When bothered by varicose veins, the best starting point for treatment is to talk with your doctor. He can refer you to a specialist who will help you determine the procedure that is best for you.

Types of Physicians

There are many types of physicians who specialize in treating varicose veins, a condition with many causes including genetics. These specialists include vascular and general surgeons, interventional radiologists, dermatologists and phlebologists. When considering the type of physician to consult, it's also wise to check with your insurance company and see what types of treatments for varicose veins are covered by your plan.

This condition can be eased in many ways, including changes in lifestyle and with both outpatient and inpatient procedures. When varicose veins become bothersome, by causing pain or affecting your appearance, surgical treatment (ligation or stripping) by any of the above mentioned physicians can help.


Ambulatory Phlebectomy is a procedure that removes the vein through tiny pricks in the skin and is normally performed by a phlebologist. A dermatologist can make veins much smaller or disappear altogether with laser treatments or by injections through sclerotherapy.

Interventional Radiologists

An interventional radiologist can assist in the reduction of varicose veins by performing vein ablation. Guided by ultrasound, vein ablation is a minimally invasive procedure performed by inserting a thin catheter into the vein and then applying laser or radiofrequency energy to heat and seal the vein. Patients who are considering a surgical remedy should seek a second opinion with an interventional radiologist to be well informed of all surgical options.

Have specific questions?

All Article Categories

Before & After Photos

Suggested Doctors

Recently Asked Questions