Static fine lines and wrinkles are visible when the face is at rest. The static lines are a sign of aging and may be considered unaesthetic. Static lines evolve from dynamic lines, but may be caused by other factors as well. Static lines can be eliminated with various types of cosmetic treatments or surgeries.
How Static Lines Form
Static lines are directly connected to the dynamic wrinkles, which occur when the facial muscles are contracted (i.e. when smiling). When the facial muscles are contracted, the skin will be temporarily wrinkles. When the facial muscles relax, the skin should get back to its original position and there should be no wrinkles. However, with aging, the skin loses its freshness and flexibility and the dynamic lines may transform into static lines or wrinkles. This happens at different ages, depending on several factors such as age, type of skin, genetics or skin hydration. The formation of static lines and wrinkles may also be facilitated by various other factors. Static lines are present on the facial area, but they may be visible on the neck and cleavage also.
Other Causes of Static Lines
In addition to frequent contracting of the facial muscles, static lines or wrinkles may also be caused by:
- Exposure to sun, as the sun dries the skin and makes it less elastic
- Dehydration (normally, a person needs between 1.5 to 2 liters of liquids per day)
- Lack or essential nutrients in the diet, especially fats, which maintain the skin healthy and hydrated
- Exposure to harsh chemicals
- Alcohol consumption
- Excess of cortisol in the body, leading to skin collagen degradation
- Prolonged water exposure, only leads to temporary wrinkling of skin
- Sleeping on face
- Weight loss and loss of facial volume
Cosmetic Treatments for Static Lines
The skin can be maintained elastic and supple through using various skin creams that stimulate the collagen in the skin. However, at a certain age (i.e. after 40) the static lines will be more visible and some creams will not be enough to reduce their visibility. The face loses its normal volume and the skin will become thinner.
Dermal fillers can be used to restore facial volume and fill in static lines, such as:
- Porcine or bovine collagen dermal fillers
- Synthetically produced human collagen
- Hyaluronic acid fillers
There are also other laser treatments that can firm up the skin and reduce the visibility of the static lines. These treatments such as Genesis or Fraxel will stimulate the collagen in the skin and this will have a tightening effect a few weeks after the procedure.
Surgery for Fine Lines
Plastic surgery is a more invasive solution. The patient can opt for:
- Face lift, a more complex surgery
- Brow lift
- Forehead lift
These procedures will eliminate excess skin and reduce the wrinkles, having more durable effects than other non invasive cosmetic treatments.