With the wealth of information available about skin care, it can be overwhelming to try to understand what is really important. Everyone seems to have a product, treatment, or secret weapon to use to achieve that healthy glow. As with many things in life, keeping it simple can often be the best advice. But there are some important facts and rules to keep in mind when it comes to skin care, and using these tips as a foundation can help your skin look its best. These tips may seem logical, but keep them in mind and you'll be asked the secret to your beautiful skin for years to come.
1. Avoid sun exposure. A multitude of skin woes are caused directly by the sun, and can make skin appear uneven and prematurely aged. If you do plan to enjoy the outdoors, wear a high-SPF sun block, protective clothing, and try to avoid direct exposure between 10am and 2pm, when the sun's rays are strongest.
2. Quit smoking. Smoking compromises circulation, and as the body's largest organ, the skin needs all the oxygen-rich blood it can get. Consult your Doctor for information about how to quit.
3. Take care of your body. Getting plenty of sleep, good nutrition, and reducing stress are important to your overall health, and your skin will benefit, too. Try incorporating yoga to relieve stress, or a power-nap to energize your afternoon.
4. Know your skin. Understanding your unique skin type is important to finding the right products and meeting your skin's needs. Not sure if you're dry, oily, or combination? Ask a skin care professional.
5. Cleanse regularly. Most people should wash their face and moisturize twice daily to maintain clean, balanced skin. Be sure to choose a gentle cleanser and moisturizer appropriate for your skin type and save the soap for below the neck, otherwise you'll get too dried out.
6. Hands off your face. As tempting as it may be to pick and pop your way to clear skin, this method doesn't work. Unless you want scars and infections, apply quality products to acne and other blemishes, and let them do the work for you.
7. Treat your skin. Consider adding regular facials, masks, or massages to your skin care routine. You'll reduce stress and improve your skin's condition at the same time.
8. Keep cosmetics clean. Be sure to throw out old makeup after six to eight months, and consider investing in a antibacterial spritzer to keep makeup brushes fresh.
9. Shave carefully. Both men and women should be sure to use a balanced shaving cream or gel, and a clean, sharp razor, every time they shave. Shaving in the direction of hair growth is the best way to avoid skin irritation.
10. Practice comprehensive skin care. Make sure to cleanse, moisturize, and care for the skin on your knees, hands, and elbows. Regularly examining your body for unusual pigmentation or moles is important to your skin's health. Having beautiful, healthy skin doesn't have to be hard. For more skin care secrets and tips, contact a specialist in your area.